Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Shazbut

My son woke me at 2 AM to share the sad, sad news of the passing of Robin Williams. Jordan knew for me there were only comic geniuses - the other was  George Carlin.

In this world of social media, word travels incredibly fast. Within an hour of the news it was everywhere. We reacted on Facebook, we watched youtube videos of old performances, we read Twiiter feeds. we heard his Wiki page had crashed. We grieved for his family, we were sad for his friends, we knew, even in those early hours, there would never be any one like him. Ever.

In our own family we also lost one of our own, similarly in treatment, similarly deciding the pain was too much to live even for us. Science has cured so many illnesses. This is one science has yet to figure out, but one day I know will. I also know this. Suicide is not a selfish act. Many say it is. Mr. Williams, and my own beloved uncle, got to the point where the pain was so bad they had had enough. As much as I am sure they both wanted to live for those who loved them they simply could not. Do I feel cheated? Yes. My uncle would have loved to see his nieces and nephews grow up and raise their own children. My own son is like him in so many ways. They would have loved each other, and I miss that.

In the end, though, we must respect their choices, the right choices for them even if not right for the rest of us. My uncle was in pain. Mr. Williams was in pain. The pain is over now. For that I am glad. We have, and will always have, our memories.

Today I will pop popcorn, curl up on my couch with my blanket and watch "The Birdcage" and old Mork and Mindy reruns.

Nanu, Nanu.

No comments:

Post a Comment